Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Rue Vautier 2


Hello to everyone. Fiona talked me into finally doing this. So here are some pictures of my studio in Brussels. It's very small, but inexpensive and recently renovated. Above is the view of the building. The couple that own the building are pretty nice, except they have a dog, and well, I'm not too fond of dogs. There are a few other flats in the building, so I have neighbors, I just haven't met them yet.

I'm enjoying Brussels. My flat is right down the street from the European Parliament building, it's about a 30 second walk. It's probably about 20 minutes into the city center with all the famous sights such as Grand Place etc...and about 20-25 minutes from the university, although there is a bus that takes less time.

Ok, the pictures...
This shows my bed and desk...obviously.

Bed.

In this picture you can see the edge of my desk, the fold down table on the wall where I eat, and the where I keep my clothes (and if you look closely enough, my coffee maker...pretty great...). You also see my "kitchen" area.

And I had to put this picture up...primarily because it is my favorite part of the apartment. This is quite literally the best shower I've ever had. For starters, it's clean (All-male apartments at BYU tend to occasionally have disgusting, or at least "less than adequate" showers , especially the last place I lived), it's a good size (as opposed to the rest of my flat being rather tiny), and it has cool little jets (those six round knobs) in addition to the detachable shower head, and a large stationary one. I love it.

Well, that's it for now. I'll let you all get back to your busy lives. Goodbye.

7 comments:

fiona said...

Very cool! You're right, it's super small, but hey, it does the trick :) What floor are you on? Your shower is awesome!!! Maybe you'll even shower every day now ;) Do you just use your desk chair to eat at your fold-down table? I love the outside of your building, I'm so excited for you to be in Brussels!!! Thanks for posting the pictures and using your precious bandwidth...Go meet those neighbors! (Maybe when you're not sick...)

pauline said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pauline said...

Hi son~ your pics are great.... your bed looks a bit thin, but I hope it's comfortable. Your shower is so nice...I'd love to try it out...with all those jets.... see if you can keep it looking nice and sparkly clean as it is now (hahahahaha). The outside of the bldg looks like some nice architecture. The "great room" looks like it's an amazing "all purpose room" ... it can be ANYTHING..... like a bedroom, or a living room, or a study.... I like that it's situated in the middle of the important places....
"It's not like an email,"... I am told, "it's just a comment" ... so, I will go..... I love you son..... Mom xox
p.s. I am at Tara's apt typing on her comp. and Dad likes the pics too....but he's too busy just talking to the girls..... (you know Dad ) xox

Tara said...

hey Gary, that looks like a cool apartment...the bed looks fun, is it the one that is also a chair? That sounds really cool. But, it doesn't look like there's room in there for when Jeff and Cubby come to visit you...I hope you feel better soon. love, Tara

Gary Patrick Ricker said...

It's on the first floor up, and yes, I use the same chair. The bed is actually pretty normal, or at least the same size as the ones I always had at BYU...and I can fit an air mattress/foam mattress on the floor, maybe even both (length wise) if people were to come to visit...of course it would be extremely cramped.

Rob and Erin said...

Nice apartment Gary! Thank you for giving us a taste of your exciting European lifestyle. Hope you're feeling better! Love you :)

Aislinn said...

I love the outside of the building! Very cool looking. The shower is really nice, too. Look at it this way...with your tiny space, you'll have less clutter and less to move when the time comes, right? ;o) Hope you're feeling better!